Priority Marketing’s May 2023 Client Headlines Report recaps 10 news stories that you should read, watch or hear.
The firm’s award-winning Public Relations Team helps clients and partners earn media coverage in newspapers and magazines, on television and radio, and on blogs, social media and websites. At the end of each month, the PR Team combs through hundreds of local, national and international news headlines to create its informative Client Headlines Report.
Below are just 10 of the many important stories that were published or aired in May 2023.
SWFL nonprofit partners with federal government to provide housing
Habitat for Humanity of Lee and Hendry Counties announced a partnership with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) on a land-lease agreement that will provide property for temporary housing in the Heritage Heights neighborhood of Fort Myers for families displaced due to Hurricane Ian.
- WINK: Habitat for Humanity, FEMA housing Ian victims in Heritage Heights
- WINK: Habitat for Humanity joins FEMA on temporary housing for Ian victims in SWFL
- NBC2: FEMA creates housing plan for families recovering from Ian
- WGCU: Habitat for Humanity partners with FEMA on temporary housing for Ian survivors in Heritage Heights
- WGCU: Habitat for Humanity, FEMA partner on housing for Ian victims
- FOX4: Habitat for Humanity leasing land to FEMA for temporary housing post Hurricane Ian
- Gulfshore Business: Habitat for Humanity to partner with FEMA on temporary housing for Ian survivors
- Southwest Florida Business Today: Habitat for Humanity announces agreement with FEMA on temporary housing for Ian survivors in Heritage Heights
- FOX4: FEMA teams up with Habitat for Humanity to provide temporary housing in Lee County
- North Fort Myers Neighbor: Habitat for Humanity announces agreement with FEMA on temporary housing for Ian survivors in Heritage Heights
- South Central Florida Life: Habitat for Humanity temporary housing units underway for displaced families
- Captiva Sanibel Islander: Habitat for Humanity, FEMA partner on temporary housing
SalusCare steps up after insurance companies deny reimbursement
SalusCare reopened its Crisis Stabilization Unit following a prolonged closure after Hurricane Ian and a subsequent insurance battle that dragged on for months. The nonprofit was forced to acquire a line of credit so it could reopen a center where some of the area’s most urgent and severe mental health crises are treated.
- Naples Daily News: SalusCare crisis unit is reopening months after Hurricane Ian damage
- WINK: SalusCare set to reopen in Fort Myers after Hurricane Ian repairs
- NBC2: Newly renovated Fort Myers mental health facility reopening after hurricane damage
- FOX4: Psychiatric crisis center reopening seven months after Hurricane Ian
- Gulfshore Business: SalusCare reopens Crisis Stabilization Unit in Fort Myers
- Cape Coral Breeze: SalusCare to reopen its Crisis Stabilization Unit
Coffee lovers find a new home in Naples
Foxtail Coffee Co. opened its first café in the Southwest Florida market with a Naples location that offers a cozy, rustic setting. In addition to a full coffee menu, Foxtail offers breakfast products, light lunch offerings and merchandise. It is led by franchise owners Scott and Diana Willis, a husband-and-wife duo that are longtime owners of Jason’s Deli of Southwest Florida. Stay tuned for more Foxtail locations in the coming months.
- Daily Coffee News: Couple Plans 10 Foxtail Coffee Locations in Southwest Florida
- Gulfshore Business: Foxtail Coffee Co. opens in North Naples, plans 10 more in SWFL
- SWFL Business Today: Foxtail Coffee Co. opens first location in Southwest Florida
- Naples Daily News: Let’s get caffeinated: Foxtail Coffee Co. Opens in Naples
Hot pizza and cold beer return to Fort Myers Beach
Matanzas on the Bay, a favorite restaurant on Fort Myers Beach, completed the first phase of its recovery from Hurricane Ian with the reopening of its upstairs bar, Petey’s Upper Deck. The open-air venue’s menu includes a range of appetizers, salads and Dave’s Dockside Pizzas, as well as a full bar featuring cocktails, beer and wine.
- The News-Press: Popular waterfront Fort Myers Beach bar reopens 7 months after Hurricane Ian
- ABC7: More Explores: Matanzas on the Bay
- Gulfshore Business: Petey’s Upper Deck reopens at Matanzas on the Bay on Fort Myers Beach
- Southwest Florida Business Today: Petey’s Upper Deck reopens at Matanzas on the Bay on Fort Myers Beach
Tebow delivers message of faith, humanity and hope to SWFL
Approximately 2,000 Southwest Floridians gathered before sunrise at JetBlue Park to hear from local spiritual leaders and Tim Tebow at the Community Prayer Breakfast. The two-time national champion, first-round NFL draft pick and Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow delivered a riveting keynote address that stretched nearly 45 minutes. This was another all-hands-on-deck event for Priority Marketing as our team handled all aspects of event planning and management, public relations, social media, website management and more.
- WINK: Tim Tebow speaks at Southwest Florida Community Prayer Breakfast
- The News-Press: PHOTOS: Tim Tebow headlines Southwest Florida Community Prayer Breakfast at JetBlue Park
- FOX4: Southwest Florida prayer breakfast features Tim Tebow
- Christian Television Network: More than 2,000 people attend Community Prayer Breakfast
- Lehigh Acres Citizen: Tim Tebow shares message of hope, compassion at Southwest Florida Community Prayer Breakfast
- MovieGuide: Tim Tebow: ‘We are invited every day in prayer to be a part of what God is doing’
Power couple honored 5 times in 17 days
There is the competitive saying, “Anything you can do, I can do better.” Jen and Rob Whyte, co-founders of Fort Myers Brewing, are having quite the back and forth this month on the stage at awards programs.
On May 1, Gulfshore Life unveiled its 2023 Best of the Gulfshore Awards. Fort Myers Brewing won Best Beer List and Best Outdoor Festival, and was a finalist for Best Craft Brewery, Best Live Music and Best Place to Hang with Locals.
- Gulfshore Life: The Best of the Gulfshore, Lee County
On May 2, the Florida Small Business Development Center (FSBDC) at Florida Gulf Coast University honored Rob as its 2023 Distinguished Entrepreneur of Southwest Florida.
- Gulfshore Business: Small Business Week brings big honors for 25 SWFL entrepreneurs
- WGCU: Florida Small Business Development Council 2023 Awards: Moore About Business
- WINK: 25 SWFL entrepreneurs honored during Small Business Week
Two days later, on May 4, Business Observer recognized Jen as a 2023 Top Entrepreneur.
- Business Observer: Business Observer celebrates six top entrepreneurs
- Business Observer: 2023 Top Entrepreneur: Jen Whyte, co-founder of Fort Myers Brewing Co., Fort Myers
- YouTube video: Meet Top Entrepreneur Jen Whtye
Then on May 10, Fort Myers Brewing won silver at the 2023 World Beer Cup for its Chocolate Stout.
- The News-Press: 8 Florida brewers win medals in World Beer Cup, including a Fort Myers favorite
- Forbes: Highlights of the World Beer Cup
Finally, on May 17, the Greater Fort Myers Chamber of Conference’s Women in Business Committee named Jen as one of five finalists for the prestigious APEX Award.
- Florida Weekly: Level HER Up Conference, Florida SouthWestern State College
- Greater Fort Myers Chamber: Meet the APEX finalists
Islanders celebrate resiliency, fighting spirit
The Fort Myers Mighty Mussels have hosted Islands Night for 30 years, but this year’s event took on additional meaning following Hurricane Ian. More than three dozen community and civic groups participated in an on-field parade before the game, and the Sanibel Captiva Chamber of Commerce hosted its annual awards ceremony before the first pitch. Islanders turned out in droves as 4,082 fans – the largest crowd of the season – strolled through the turnstiles.
- Sanibel Island Reporter: Chamber announces annual business awards at Islands Night
- Florida Weekly: SanCap Chamber switches up annual awards in Ian’s wake
- Cape Coral Breeze: Mussels fall 5-4 in front of massive Islands Night crowd
- Florida Weekly: Mighty Mussels hosting ‘Islands Night’ to celebrate SWFL’s resilience
United Way celebrates a 30-year streak of fundraising success
United Way of Lee, Hendry, and Glades concluded its 2022-2023 Campaign with a monumental announcement – the nonprofit had met or exceeded its annual campaign goal for the 30th consecutive year. In announcing that $11.2 million had been raised, United Way also noted that an additional $7 million had been collected for Hurricane Ian relief and recovery on top of the regular campaign.
Three-hole stretch catapults Fort Myers golfer into PGA Championship
Jeremy Wells, director of player development at Cypress Lake Golf Club in Fort Myers, earned a spot at the prestigious PGA Championship thanks to a solid weekend of golf capped by a blazing three-hole stretch of a birdie, birdie and eagle at a qualifying event for club pros. “I have been playing golf since I was 5 years old, always dreaming about the chance to play in a major and compete with the world’s best golfers,” Wells said. Although he ultimately fell a few shots short of making the cut, his two days at Oak Hill were a dream come true.
- ABC7: Estero golf instructor qualifies for prestigious PGA Championship
- WINK: Jeremy Wells, Fort Myers golf instructor, competing in the PGA Championship
- The News-Press: Cypress Lake Golf Club pro Jeremy Wells qualifies to play in 2023 PGA Championship
- FOX4: Estero golfer qualifies for PGA Championship
- Fort Myers Beach Observer: Cypress Lake Golf Club’s Wells qualifies for PGA Championship
Global conference spotlights Southwest Florida, FGCU
Florida Gulf Coast University hosted a three-day global Hanseatic League of Universities conference that drew presidents, chancellors and academic officers from leading universities around the world. One highlight was the unveiling of the 2023 World’s Universities with Real Impact (WURI) rankings, which highlight institutions that contribute to society by creating innovative approaches to research and educational programs. FGCU landed at No. 33 on the Global Top 100 Innovative Universities list.
- WGCU: Conference at FGCU touches on trends and China’s role in world
- Florida Weekly: Getting back to square one: Universities should focus on community needs
- WGCU: FGCU’s Martin removing one presidential title, dons another
Do you need a Public Relations Team to help tell your story? Please give us a call today at 239-267-2638 or send an email to LetsTalk@PriorityMarketing.com.